Value creation for Denmark
Innovation Fund Denmark invests every year in new knowledge based initiatives that create growth and jobs.
How can we help you?
Innovation Fund Denmark is willing to invest in your project even though others have yet to see the potential in it: We are ready to take a chance and run the risk in order to create growth and jobs in Denmark.
We are conscious of the use of “investment” in the funds we offer your project.
We do not require equity or return on our investment – our focus is on your project’s potential to create growth and jobs. Both before we invest and during the investment phase. That is why we closely follow your project from beginning to end to make sure that Denmark benefits from your project.
We strive to be accessible for you in a way that suits your needs – that we are a fund with the least amount of red tape and bureaucracy as possible and with a large degree of risk taking and capital.
Three investment entrances:
- Societal Challenges
Considerable investment in long-term projects/partnerships with focus on research, development and/or commercialization both nationally and internationally.
Companies/enterprises (SME), entrepreneurs or researchers with a good development plan.
Research students, graduates with entrepreneurial ambitions or researchers with public/private research career ambitions.
Our requirements from you
Your project must have the potential to create results in the form of new knowledge, growth or jobs.
The Innovation Fund Denmark’s overarching goal is that Denmark benefits from the money we invest in your idea. This means that your project can be terminated if results fail to materialize.
However, we are happy to reinvest in your project if your project demonstrates an ability to create a greater potential than initially expected.
Tina Fanø is chairman of Innnovation Fund Denmark and executive vice president of Novozymes, which researches, develops and manufactures bioindustrial products, especially enzymes and microorganisms for, among other things, detergents, food and animal feed. Tina Fanø joined the Board of Directors on April 1, 2019.
Flemming Besenbacher is vice chairman at Innovation Fund Denmarkand Chairman of the Board of the Carlsberg Foundation and Carlsberg. He holds a professorship at the Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Center (iNANO) and the Department of Physics and Astronomy, at Aarhus University. Flemming Besenbacher joined the Board on the establishment of the IFD on 1 April 2014 for a three-year term.
Anja Boisen is vice chairman at Innovation Fund Denmark and professor of nanotechnology at DTU – Technical University of Denmark and joined the Board on the establishment of IFD on 1 April 2014 for a three-year term.
Anne Skriver is Vice President of Innovation Dairy, Chr. Hansen A/S. Formerly, she served on the Board of the Danish Council for Strategic Research. She joined the IFD Board on 1 January 2015 for a three-year term.
Anne-Marie Engel is Head of Talent & Career Programmes in Lundbeckfonden and joined the IFD Board on 1 April 2017 for a three-year term.
Stephen Alstrup is professor at the Department of Computer Science at the University of Copenhagen, and also has extensive experience from the private business community with start-up and management of several companies, most recently SupWiz, one of Europe's leading startups in the field of artificial intelligence. Stephen Alstrup joined the fund's board of directors on April 1, 2019 for a three-year period.
Claus Jensen is Union President of the Danish Metalworkers’ Union and joined the IFD Board on its establishment on 1 April 2014 for a three-year term.
Lars Frølund is research director and visiting fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston. He works daily with innovation in one of the world's leading research and innovation environments. Lars Frølund joined the board of the Innovation Fund on 1 April 2019.
Mission, vision and objectives.
Innovation Fund Denmark invests in cultivating and translating ideas, knowledge and technology for the benefit of Danish Society.
Entrepreneurship, partnership and an international outlook thrive so that ideas, knowledge and technologies are translated into viable businesses and innovative solutions for the benefit of society.
Innovation Fund Denmark's investments stimulate:
- Growth and employment
- Solutions to key societal challenges
The objectives are achieved by means of:
- Innovation and technological advances
- Interdisciplinary alliances
- Thriving entrepreneurship
- Research excellence
- A dynamic international outlook
Requirements for responsible research and innovation
Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) within Innovation Fund Denmark.
RRI aims to strengthen the links between research & innovation processes and results and societal values and needs.
Innovation Fund Denmark strives to advance RRI in both its overall strategies and via its projects and the Fund adheres to the European Commission’s definition and implementation of RRI.
We have designed our investment types and evaluation criteria in such a way as to encourage projects to focus on ‘societal commitment’ and ‘research training’. To that end, projects are specifically encouraged to:
- Involve all relevant stakeholders and institutions in the research and innovation process
- Cultivate a keen focus on future users
- Engage in formal and informal cross-institutional research training
By involving all relevant stakeholders in the research and innovation process projects may potentially create more sustainable and long-term results. And by making formal and informal research training an integral part of the projects, they will not only generate research and innovation results, but also train the next generation of researchers.
Read Innovation Fund Denmark operational check list regarding conflict of interest
According to the Danish Public Administration Act you are disqualified relative to a specific case, if:
- You have a particular personal or financial interest in the outcome of a case or if you have represented any person in the same case with such interests.
- You are married or closely related to a person that has particular or financial interest in the outcome of the case or represents any person with such interests.
- You have previously – or in the current decision – have represented someone wo.
- You are involved in the management of or are otherwise closely associated with any company, partnership, association or other private legal entity with a particular interest in the outcome of the case;
- The case concerns a complaint about or exercise of the control or supervision of another public authority, and the person previously served with that authority and assisted in making the decision or implementing the measures at issue in the case; or
- There are other grounds for questioning your impartiality (see below)
In addition the Public Administration Act, Innovation Fund Denmark has adopted the following principles for disqualification on a decision pertaining to a case. In questions where doubt arises regarding, disqualification, the person in question will leave the room while the question is decided.
If employment at the same public organization (faculty, research unit, institute etc) as the applicant, you are disqualified if:
- The application is within the same research area as yours.
- You are in a management position at a public organization (Dean, Rector or similar) or member of a managing body of a public organization, factuly, PH.D school, Institute etc and the public institution in question is an applicant or a person in the application is under your management.
- The applicant/case has importance for your place of employment, your personal employment or research groups you participate in or recently was a part of.
In employment (including management and board positions9 in the same private unit as a participant of an application, you are disqualified, if the the application has importance for your private unit.
In case of application round with 10 or less applicants
- You are disqualified in relation to an application, you will also be considered disqualified in relation to the other applications if 10 or less applications are competing. If the application you are disqualified for is ruled out of the application process, you can participate in the decision of the remaining applications.
The aim of Innovation Fund Denmark is to create growth, jobs and solve societal challenges. These goals are affected by various factors and are therefore difficult to measure. This text outlines Innovation Fund Denmark’s approach to impact measurement of investments.
Innovation Fund Denmark invests in research and innovation projects with a view to strengthening growth and employment in Denmark and to solve societal challenges. A main precondition for this is documentation of the fact that the projects produce a social return, which both in the short and long run creates value for Denmark. Therefore, in June 2016 Innovation Fund Denmark issued a publication offering insight into how the fund monitors, measures and documents the impact of investments.
Measuring the social return of individual projects accurately is a complex task, as the results may be multifarious and affected by external factors. The fund’s publication on impact measurement therefore describes to the greatest extent possible the fund’s approach to impact measurement by outlining the methods the fund has found to be the most relevant based on national and international research and in cooperation with the OECD.
Contrary to private-sector companies, Innovation Fund Denmark does not have a bottom line that clearly shows whether investments have been profitable. Various factors affect the companies’ and research institutions’ activities and thus the effect of projects invested in by the fund. Depending on the category and size of investments, the fund therefore explores the individual projects to determine their impact – e.g. through interviews with the companies, universities and users of new solutions. On a general level and within other project categories the fund performs quantitative analyses of projects. In addition, the publication also mentions a series of associated effects of investments made by the fund. E.g., research and innovation projects based on funds subject to competition contribute to strengthening the innovation and entrepreneurship culture in Denmark.
At project level, it is the fund’s ambition to see the companies that participate in projects grow and experience significant increased value creation. Find more information under objectives and indicators. At the same time, the aim is to see research results lead to innovation in the future. Impact measurement in Innovation Fund Denmark is an ongoing process, and the fund focusses on collecting and measuring the impact of its activities in close cooperation with Danish and international collaborators with a view to documenting that its investments have a positive effect on society.
The Innovation Fund Denmark’s whistle blower scheme provides employees and others with connection with the Fund the possibility to report suspicion of illegal, unethical or irresponsible behavior that conflicts with the Funds regulations or values. All reports go with full anonymity to the Fund’s legal representation at Kammeradvokaten/Poul Schmith.
To create free access for all citizens, researchers and companies to all research articles from Danish research institutions financed by public authorities and/or private foundations.
Phone: 61 90 50 00
(9.00 a.m. - 3.00 p.m.)
Europaplads 2, 4. sal
8000 Aarhus C
Østergade 26 A, 4. sal
1100 København K
Cortex Park 26
5230 Odense M
Niels Jernes Vej 10
When referring to projects with investment from Innovation Fund Denmark, the people involved must always ensure that it is clear that this is a project together with Innovation Fund Denmark.
The English term is: Innovation Fund Denmark
When Innovation Fund Denmark is mentioned on websites, publications, presentation plans, brochures and the like, please use the official logo.
Please refer to Innovation Fund Denmark's website with the following address: www.innovationsfonden.dk
By mention in articles, Powerpoints and other forms of documentation. Please use the following text:
Acknowledgments: «This work is partly funded by the Innovation Fund Denmark (IFD) under File No. ___. "
Everyone can avail themselves of the following fact boxes about Innovation Fund Denmark as needed:
Innovation Fund Denmark
Innovation Fund Denmark invests in the development of new knowledge and technology creating growth and employment in Denmark. The Fund focuses on societal challenges, strengthens research and increases innovation commitment within private companies.
- August: Vil du pitche din iværksætter-idé for fonden? Skal din startup møde potentielle investorer? Har din SMV en god idé?
- Juli: Klimaopfordring til virksomheder, brugertests på Roskilde Festival og tilsagn til mange nye projekter.
- Juni: Innovationsfonden samler førende forskere og virksomheder i ambitiøst klimapanel
- Maj: Innofounder-forløb bringer unge iværksættere tættere på succes
- April: Konkurrence skal finde løsninger på store klima- og miljøproblemer – Internationale eksperter: Innovationsfonden er en stor gevinst
- Marts: Innovationsfonden får ny formand – Fonden etablerer whistleblowerordning - Nye programmer på vej
- Februar: Innovationsfonden får ny formand - Fonden etablerer whistleblowerordning - Nye programmer på vej
- Januar: Milliardpotentiale i cirkulær plastøkonomi – Få guldet til din InnoBoosteransøgning – Personlig medicin: Stor nordisk satsning
- December: Fonden jagter nye iværksættere - De første tre temaer til Grand Solutions 2019 - Klar til den næste plastrevolution?
- Oktober: Klar strategi på grønne energiløsninger – Mød fonden på landets universiteter – Fonden vil have flere kvindelige ansøgere
- Oktober: Ny rapport: Kvinder er løsningen på Danmarks talentmangel - Nye investeringer i danskernes sundhed - Fonden lancerer nyt website
- August: Innotalk sætter fokus på kønsbalancen - Få fingrene i gratis billetter - Stillinger opslås til det kommende hovedkontor
- Juni: Dansk energiforskning øger eksport og konkurrenceevne – Containerhavne kan spare mia. - 23 nye Grand Solutions-projekter
- Maj: Folkemøde: Hvem løber med pengene? - Danske robotter erobrer verden - Iværksættere indtager Roskilde Festival
- April: Gigantmøllevinger skaber billig energi - To nye investeringer i vandteknologi - Samarbejde med INSEAD løfter dansk innovation
- Marts: Stort potentiale i cybersikkerhed - Grand Solutions-kvaliteten skudt i vejret - Startup løber med 1 mio.
- Februar: Innotalk: Mød verdens mest berømte hacker - Nitrat i drikkevand øger risikoen for tarmkræft - Stigende interesse for Grand Solutions
- Januar: Prisvindere hædret i Kbh - Fonden henter fortsat flere midler fra EU - Læs de opdaterede investeringsstrategier
- December: Glædelig jul fra Innovationsfonden - Sådan får vi mere vækst for pengene - Vær med til at hylde årets skarpeste hjerner
- November: Grand Solutions 2018: Klar til at skabe udvikling til gavn for DK? - Fonden præsenterer ny strategi - Gratis billetter til Big Science Business Forum
- Oktober: Mød fonden på landets universiteter – Se ansøgningsprocessen for Grand Solutions 2018 - Der er mia. at hente ved optimering af produktionen
- September: Kan vi slå svenskerne? – Nye iværksættere til Roskilde Festival 2018 - Ses vi til High Tech Summit?
- August: Forskere udvikler super-kit til politiet - Ny test kan opdage kræft tidligt - GratisTECHBBQ-billetter til de hurtige
- Juni: Software sparer danske rederier for 70 mio. - Vækstpanelerne viser stort potentiale - Startups fletter fingre på Roskilde Festival
- Maj: Dansk biotek skaber arbejdspladser på rekordtid – Ses vi i Allinge? - Fonden sender iværksættere til Roskilde Festival
- April: Energiforskning kan spare DK for mio. - Innotalk: Se med live fra Nationalmuseet – Få succes med dit forskningsprojekt
- Marts: Innotalk: Er vi klar til fremtidens arbejdsmarked? - Grand Solutions-ansøgninger for 4.1 mia. - To nye medlemmer i fondens bestyrelse
- Februar: Her er årets prisvindere - Ny investeringsstrategi skal ruste virksomheder - Energiforsker indtager førstepladsen med flest citater
- Januar: Grand Solutions: Hent de nye retningslinjer - Mød fonden på landets universiteter - Her er forårets Iværksætterpiloter
- December: Få svar på din ansøgning inden for 100 dage – Ny analyse: ”Stort potentiale i Industri 4.0” - Se fondens nye investeringer
- November: Udsigt til status quo i 2017 - Klar til den næste industrielle revolution? - Ny programrådgiver i Region Midtjylland
- Oktober: Nye investeringer vil skabe værdi i hele Danmark - Er du klar til den næste industrielle revolution? - Gratis sparring til udvalgte virksomheder
- Oktober: Danske virksomheder rustes til Industri 4.0 - Lav fødselsvægt kobles til risiko for diabetes - Temadag: Hvem vil finansiere fremtidens grønne energi?
- September: Fonden hædrer forskningens innovatører – Klamydiavaccine testes på mennesker - ”Det bliver aldrig simpelt at måle forskningen”
- August: DK højt på EU-Innovationsliste - Oversvømmelser afsløres før regnen kommer - Gratis billetter til startup-topmøde
- Juni: Hård konkurrence om fondsmidler - Folkemødet: Bliver vi verdensmestre i energilagring? – Jysk succes scorer eksportordre
- Maj: Ultralydsscanner står foran gennembrud - Dansk start-up indtager Kina - Minister indvier nyt forsøgsanlæg
- April: Historisk investering på 80 mio. - Iværksætter-komet udfordrer it-giganter - Innovationsfonden er på linje med Mission Innovation
- Marts: Fondsinvesteringer får medvind - Store forventninger til Grand Solutions - Internationalt boost til Iværksætterpiloter
- Februar: Årets temaer er nu afsløret - Fem nye investeringsstrategier - Privat forskning kalder på et servicetjek
- December: Fondens direktør ser tilbage på et travlt 2015 - Vandloppeanlæg kan gavne dansk eksport - Biotekvirksomhed løber med fornem pris
- November: Innovationsfonden giver grønt lys for milliardinvestering
- Oktober: Læs Høngaards kommentar til den aktuelle debat - Sprøjtemidler kan reduceres med op til 95 % - Fonden søger Scientific Officer
- September: Hjerteplaster får produktgodkendelse - Skarpt erhvervsteam bedømmer InnoBooster-projekter - Horizon2020: Få de bedste finansieringstip
- August: Vindmøller høster mere strøm - Ny og bedre InnoBooster - Fonden søger ny medarbejder
- Juni: Sådan vil fonden måle sin effekt - 21 nye iværksætterpiloter - Så mange gik videre til fase 2
- Juni: Hybriddrone afsløret i Odense - Ses vi til Folkemødet? – Fonden søger praktikant
- April: Next overgår alle forventninger – Ny og større InnoBooster - Debat: Fuld fart på innovationen
- Marts: Verdenspremiere på ny brotype - Kom til årsdag i Odense - Se fondens nye investeringer
- Februar: Fonden lancerer sin strategi - Nyt innovationsfonden.dk - Se årets opslag for Store projekter og Samfundspartnerskaber
Tilmeld dig fondens nyhedsbrev og få de seneste nyheder om fondens investeringer.
Læs om de seneste resultater af fondens investeringer, samt hvad fonden lige nu investerer i.